This Grade II listed chapel can be found in the grounds of the Dominican Convent. It is an important early work of A. W. Pugin, associated with the mission of Blessed Dominic Barberi.

The Catholic mission in Stone began in earnest with the arrival of Blessed Dominic Barberi, who resided at Aston hall, Aston-by-Stone, and travelled to Stone to celebrate Mass in a room in the Crown Inn. Subsequently the tiny school chapel of St Anne was designed by A. W. Pugin and built for Barberi, in 1843-4. This survives in use in the grounds of the convent and is associated with a small burial ground. It cost £600 and has an east window by William Wailes. 

The following is the detail from the listing of this building:-


651-1/5/54 (North East side)
09/03/49 Catholic Chapel of St Anne


Catholic chapel. 1844. By Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, for James Beech. Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof with cresting. 5-bay nave and short chancel. Early English style. Coped gables with crosses. Chancel has 3-light east window and single cusped light to south; blocked entrance to north. Nave has windows of 2 cusped lights; pointed west entrance has parapeted steps, flanking cusped lights and niche with statue above; gable has 3 trefoils; triangular-headed east entrance to north of chancel.

INTERIOR: chancel roof has ashlaring to collar trusses; simple double-chamfered segmental-pointed chancel arch; nave roof trusses have straight braces to purlins and cambered collars. Small ashlar altar; plain open benches with traceried fronts; timber confessional has glazed traceried upper panels. Brass to floor with cross in frame, and 2 wall brasses to chancel; stained glass east window probably by Hardman. The chapel was used by Blessed Dominic Barberi CP of Aston Hall, a Passionist priest, who was influential in the C19 Catholic church. The chapel was built for him by a local man, J.Beech.

(Edward Norman: The English Catholic Church in the Nineteenth
Century: Oxford: 1984-: 229-30).

Listing NGR: SJ8991634078